Salud Para La Gente (SALUD) provides high quality, comprehensive and cost-effective healthcare to underserved low-income communities in the Monterey Bay area, including Santa Cruz County and North Monterey County. We began in Watsonville in 1978 as a storefront “free clinic”. With the ever growing need for health services, in 1992 we became a federally qualified community health center (FQHC). Today we are a primary health care network with 14 clinic sites, over 360 employees and continue to provide high quality services to patients of all ages. SPLG offers a collaborative culture that values excellence, achievement, innovation, teamwork and compassion while ensuring respect, dignity and fairness for our patients.
We are seeking an Optometrist to join our Optometry Department and to provide direct primary eye care and guidance to our patients.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- To serve as an advocate for patients and their families during their entry into Salud health care system.
- Perform assessments, general and ocular history, and eye examination on new and returning patients.
- Assess visual status, ocular motor status, ocular pathological conditions, ocular development status, and optometric needs of patients through appropriate ophthalmic examination methods.
- Develop the optometric treatment plan with the patients for visual problems and abnormalities to be implemented. The optometric treatment plan with patients may contain all or any of the following:
- Diagnostic procedures
- Specific ocular therapies including special ocular aids, i.e. contact lens (hard, soft, torics) low vision aids, therapy;
- Ocular health education;
- Follow-up, including referral and consultation.
- Communicate when necessary with patients and or patient’s family by phone or letter.
- Provide guidance to patients and or their families relevant to ocular health education.
- Provide sympathetic care, communicate effectively and respectfully with people from different racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds and lifestyles
- Provide consultation for the professional staff.
- Provide technical supervision to para-optometric staff
- Efficiently use the EHR system and complete chart write-ups and review laboratory works in a timely manner.
- Participate in Salud’s Continuous Quality Improvement program.
- Comply with the referral/utilization procedures and standards.
- Comply with all regulations pertaining to the practice of optometry and licensure in the State of California.
- Comply with the principal of practice.
- Graduation with Doctorate Degree from a school of Optometry approved by the State of California.
- Possess and maintain a current California License to practice optometry.
- Must have and maintain a certificate in Ocular Pharmacology issued by the State Board of Optometry.
- Must maintain an average of sixty post-graduate hours in Optometric-Medical Education in the last three years.
- Bilingual, Spanish and English highly preferred.
- Valid CA driver’s license
- Current valid CPR certification.
Standing, walking, sitting, typing, reaching, bending, moving and/or lifting up to 25 pounds.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Competitive salary and benefits package. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401(k), voluntary long term disability, holiday pay, PTO and CE allowance.
Please apply online with your current resume and cover letter to https://www2.appone.com/Search/Search.aspx?ServerVar=saludparalagente.appone.com